Application & Guidelines
Apply for the Competition
The competition alternates annually between piano and voice, and is open to applicants residing in Maryland or Washington, DC. Non-residents attending schools in Maryland or D.C. are also eligible to apply.
This Year: Voice Competition
Application Deadline: March 22, 2013
Preliminary Rounds: April 6, 2013
Competition Recital: April 21, 2013
Voice Competition Guidelines
- The competition is for residents of Maryland and the District of Columbia (Washington, D.C.) or non-residents attending schools in Maryland or D.C. and open to singers ages 18-35. Proof of residency or enrollment may be required.
- Applicants must not be under professional management
- Prior Wonderlic Competition winners at any level are not eligible to compete.
- A teacher, coach or sponsor is required to sign the application as an endorsement of the applicant.
- Applicants should assemble a 30 minute program of vocal repertoire from Classical, Romantic, and, if desired, Early Music periods. Four languages are required: Italian, German, French, and English. Program suggestions: song literature, arias from opera, oratorio, or excerpts from choral or symphonic selections.
- Deadline for applications is Friday, March 22, 2013.
- In the event the applicant is chosen as a finalist, the repertoire will be the program for the recital, in whole or in part.
- All works are to be performed by memory, a copy of which is to be available in published form.
- For contestants in need of a piano accompanist, the professional services of the competition’s staff pianist (410-435-4320) is available at a nominal hourly fee. Call to arrange a schedule.
- The preliminary competition will take place on Saturday, April 6, 2013 at the Second Presbyterian Church at 4200 St. Paul Street in Baltimore. Upon receipt of approved and completed applications and materials, contestants will be notified by phone or mail regarding their schedule and the amount of time to be heard, and other necessary information that may be helpful.
- The judges will select one or more finalists who will participate in a recital, solo or joint, depending on the adjudication results, as part of the series “Community Concerts At Second” at the Second Presbyterian Church on Sunday, April 21, 2013 at 3:30 p.m. The recital date is not negotiable.
- The first prize winner will receive $1,500. The second prize is $1,000.
- Decisions of the judges are final.