2017 Application & Guidelines
The competition alternates annually between piano and voice, and is open to applicants residing in Maryland or Washington, DC. Non-residents attending schools in Maryland or D.C. are also eligible to apply.
Email CommunityConcertsAtSecond@yahoo.com for an application.
This Season: Voice Competition
Application Deadline: March 10, 2017
Preliminary Rounds: April 1, 2017
Competition Recital: April 23, 2017
Voice Competition Guidelines
- The competition is for residents of Maryland and the District of Columbia (Washington, D.C.) or non-residents attending schools in Maryland or D.C. and open to singers ages 18-35. Proof of residency or enrollment may be required.
- Prior Wonderlic Competition winners at any level are not eligible to compete.
- A teacher, coach or sponsor is required to sign the application as an endorsement of the applicant.
- Applicants should assemble a 30 minute program of vocal repertoire from Early Music, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and the more contemporary styles of the 20th and 21st centuries. Four languages are required, including but not limited to Italian, German, French, and English. Program suggestions: song literature, arias from opera, oratorio, or excerpts from choral or symphonic selections.
- Deadline for applications is March 10, 2017.
- In the event the applicant is chosen as a finalist, the repertoire will be the program for the recital, in whole or in part.
- All works are to be performed from memory; copies of works are to be available in published form.
- For contestants in need of piano accompaniment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a recommendation.
- The preliminary competition will take place on Saturday, April 1, 2017 at the Second Presbyterian Church at 4200 St. Paul Street in Baltimore. Upon receipt of approved and completed applications and materials, contestants will be notified by email regarding their appointment time, and other necessary information that may be helpful.
- The judges will select one or more finalists who will participate in a recital, solo or joint, depending on the adjudication results, as part of the series Community Concerts at Second at the Second Presbyterian Church on Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 3:30 p.m.
- The recital date is not negotiable.
- The first prize winner will receive $1,500. The second prize is $1,000, and the third prize is $500.
- Decisions of the judges are final.